Graco Soothing System Glider, Abbington Review
|Product Name:||Graco Soothing System Glider, Abbington|
|Weight Range:||5.5 to 30 pounds|
|Motion:||Gliding 6 Speeds|
|Dimensions:||28 x 24.5 x 36 inches|
The Graco Soothing is a unique swing that is designed to soothe a newborn through various senses. It comes with gliding swing with 6 speeds. The swing also helps meets the needs of newborns by reaching out and stimulating their senses. After several years between kids I was in the market for a new swing, was tired of the wind up ones and the battery powered ones weren’t much better. I happened upon the Graco Soothing and instantly fell in love. As an added bonus, it is made by Graco, which to me is a name that means high quality and durability.
The swing comes with two different reclining positions, which is helpful depending on what my baby is using the swing for. I can also change the direction that the seat is facing, so I can always give my baby something new to look at. Through using the swing I have found that being able to move the seat’s position is a blessing because it extends the amount of time my baby spends in the swing, allowing me to get even more done.
- iPod or MP3 Player Plug In. I have never seen a swing have the option of plugging in an MP3 player or even an iPod, even with the iPod docking stations being so popular. Having a plug in spot for my music is nice because it allows me to control what my baby is listening too, but also lets me enjoy the music coming from the swing. Perhaps the best part is the sound quality; it is sounds almost as good as my home stereo.
- Music Choices. While I can plug my own music into the swing, it also comes pre programmed with a variety of music choices, as well as the white noise option. One of the best things about the pre programmed music choices is you have soothing songs, but you also have upbeat songs that you can listen to when baby is awake. Many parents make the mistake of thinking that all of the songs that come with the swing are supposed to help put baby to sleep, but many babies, mine included, spend time in the swing while they are awake. Having upbeat songs, help keeps them awake, in most cases.
- Control panel. One of the best things about the control panel, aside from the blue light that lights up the buttons in the dark, is the memory setting. The first time I turned my swing off and then turned it back on the next day the settings from the previous day were still stored in the swing. Having the swing settings stored is nice because that means I don’t have to constantly adjust the swing when I turn it on. In addition, the control panel comes with a lock button, so my helpful toddler cannot mess with any of the buttons.
- Power options. The swings that I used with my other two kids were either wind up or battery powered. I preferred the wind up ones because they didn’t eat through batteries, but I liked the battery-powered swing because I didn’t have to manually wind it up to get my kids swinging. The Graco SweetPeace Newborn Soothing Center comes with an AC adapter that you can plug directly into the wall, no more buying batteries every week. However, you also have the option of using batteries, which makes it easier to take the swing with you no matter where you go.
- Swaddling blanket. This is one of the only swings that I have seen that comes with a swaddling blanket, which has a good purpose but is not very practical. The purpose of the blanket is to swaddle your baby in it with your scent on it. All of the things my baby uses has my scent on it because I handle everything she touches. While the idea of the blanket is good, the blanket itself needs improvement because of how small it is. The blanket is so small that I cannot use it to comfortably swaddle my baby in it.
- Toy Bar. While this is a small complaint, it is something that parents need to keep in mind. The toy bar is seriously lacking, but the swing makes up for this in so many other areas. The toys on the bar are not very easy for baby to reach and they don’t come off. I prefer not to use the toy bar; instead, I just give my baby her own toys.
The Graco SweetPeace Newborn Soothing Center is truly a unique swing. The swing has a seat that vibrates to help soothe baby, but the seat can also come out to fit any Graco Infant Seat, which some parents find helpful when they bring baby in from the car. Although this swing is a bit more expensive than others are, it is well worth the price. You get a swing that is close to being perfect, and the cons associated with the swing are such minor issues that they shouldn’t even be counted.Check Special Price on amazon